The following communication went out from Daniel Bowman in support of the “Let Them Play” initiative, encouraging a return to high school athletics for what remains of the current school year. The letter lays out the case for interscholastic athletics.
Bowman also lays out how parents and the community can speak out for high school sports. Of particular note is a rally coming up this Saturday…….
Parents, Athletes and Community Members.
There’s no question that our students’ mental well being is declining. For some, a little. And others, a lot. Sometimes it shows on the outside. And sometimes, we have no clue what’s on the inside. As research is being done and data is being collected from the 2019-2020 calendar years, we still don’t have all the facts.
But here’s what we do know:
– Students who participate in sports/extracurricular activities are less likely to have ideation, or attempt suicide.
– Youth who are isolated have an increased risk of drug use and violence.
– Youth who are isolated have a decreased risk of independence as an adult.
– Oregon was ranked the worst for mental illness in 2017.
Here’s what I’m asking for:
– Please complete this survey and encourage others (Students, parents, schools, parent groups, members of the community, etc) to do it too.
– Join Facebook group /LetThemPlay-Oregonians for Athletes has additional information
– ‘Copy/Paste’ the survey into a personalized email and send it to your family, parent clubs, members of the community, schools, etc. to collect up to date data.
– Please follow ‘#LetThemPlayOregon’ on Twitter.
– Please attend the Let Them Play Rally February 6th, 2021 at the capital.